Every year at the New River Gorge hundreds of climbers gather to raise money, drink beer, win awesome prizes, watch fuzzy men fight in the air... and of course, climb!
We arrived late Friday night, just in time to take advantage of the free food and beer. Saturday morning we hit the road in search of the ideal "noob" climbs, both for Travis and I. I'm happy to report I bagged the easiest sport lead in the New, without a single freak out moment (this is a big deal, go with it.)
The rest of the day/night included more beer, pizza from Pies and Pints (Grape Gorgonzola - omg yum...), a dyno comp, and more music. There is something about getting a group of climbers together, especially when the purpose is to support an organization that gives back like the NRAC does. At the crag climbers shared ropes to make sure everyone got to climb, even though it was crowded and hot. Conversations with strangers ended with feeling like you'd known them forever. I might be sentimental, but I think the awesome people you meet at events like this are worth more than the prizes and climbs you tick.
- International Climbers Festival, Lander, WY
- Gunnison Glory, Gunnison, CO
- Teva Mountain Games, Vail, CO
- Palouse Climbing Festival, Palouse, ID
- Southern Adirondack Rock Fest, Caroga Lake, NY
- Red Rock Rendezvous, Las Vegas, NV
- Bear Valley Adventure Sports Festival, CA
- Joshua Tree Climbers Carnival, CA
- Lost Horse Climbing Festival, Hamilton, MT
- Squamish Climbing Festival, BC, Canada
- Hueco Rock Rodeo, El Paso, TX